It's really nice to be able to watch a play-musical with someone who loves play-going as much as I do. None of the showy, intensely critical and literary crowd (i've too much of that in school), but just someone who appreciates simplicity and know when to have a good time. I've always loved Chinese theatre. It surely beats the more oft-spoken (and therefore highly criticised) English-medium theatre. Lyrical and intensely beautiful, a simple plot can be spun into a nice and emotive tapestry. Don't pooh-pooh it, but sometimes I think even Lit students (and more often than not, it's COS of us being lit students), we appreciate a play not for what it brings to one, but instead, take it apart, analyse all the aspects, tip it around, see how it ticks and so on. Try doing that with modern chinese theatre.
Thanks to Yujia, I've had a more than wonderful evening watching <天冷就回来>, a rather nice musical. It's been a real long time I've ever done something that really makes me happy, and involves something I really like.
It's the preview and the opening night of the play, by The Theatre Practice. Here is the poster:
People who remembered, or are 'cheena' enough will know Liang Wen Fu, a rather good local song lyricist, who penned down the most memorable xinyao songs. This a play which has a compendium of the best songs of LWF, tastefully woven into a plot of displacement, alienation, love and later, the realisation of dreams, loves and homecomings... It has it's funny moments, when Broadway meets xinyao in the unlikely setting of New York, and bittersweet moments punctuated with lines of the most meaning verses...
别在风中徘徊
妈妈眼里有明白
还有一丝无奈
天冷我想回家
童年已经不再
昨天的雨点洒下来
那滋味叫做爱"
Visit their official website .
Everything will be put right in the end, if only I can get out of the cold.
No dream ever shatters totally, but just lie broken and unfulfilled.
I'm waiting. And perhaps I'll mend those dreams soon enough.
And thanks again YJ. It was a break that was so nice.


No comments:
Post a Comment