My tutee has this thing with asking me weird questions and frankly he makes many mistakes in his vocab and grammar. Tuition Teacher's fault.
He'll figure out he needs a word to put into his composition. And he'll ask me, who is tottering half-asleep beside him and trying to look academic with a book...
"How do you write 'gan' in English ah?"
"Um wah lao eh... you cannot write GAN or say GAN in your compo okay. The word is 'severely scolded', gan what gan..." (interestingly I was about to exclaim "GAN MY ASS", "my ass" being one of my favourite curse words, and i stopped myself in time. Freaking hell. It's a trap I think. Sneaky boy.)
Two sessions back I found this mistake in his compo:
"He analised (sic) the situation."
I drew a circle... and tried hard not to laugh.
Boy. You are going to take exams this coming Thursday. If the teacher gotta "analise" your compo closely to find out what you really mean, I think you are going to get "entertainment marks".
And then when you come back Tuition Teacher will gan you very severely.
Monday, September 22, 2008
My Tutee, the Future Lit Major
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment