Aspirant to Higher Learning: I Lead, Care and Inspire...
..........

Monday, September 15, 2008

Why Literature Majors Should Not Read Too Much Into Stuff

Yea, even as a literature major myself, I can't help but wonder sometimes what my fellow compatriots are thinking.

Today during a seminar a classmate (let's call him J), sniggered when the prof mentioned something about a building being "erected". It's pretty normal to have phallic terms passed to and fro in class. We are sexy people right?

Wrong.

Later in the day, in another seminar, J, our friend and I somehow steeped into discussions of the phallus and its appearance in mundane life. This is the conversation as I recall, note words in italics...

J (declaring): Top Gun is a very phallic film.

Me and W: Huh?

J (explaining): Well the pilot gets to ride a 4 million piece of equipment at high speeds! Nothing is more phallic than that...

Me: Ya... considering the fact that the big joystick is in between your legs... and you pull on it to gain control over the plane right?

W: Ya. And the panting! In Top Gun they get so excited they pant (makes panting action and pants heavily).

J: Ya Ya. Then when he presses the joystick, things fly out of the big thing he is riding on! Bombombom, Fssssscccccccchhhhhhhh (mimics missles flying). Still got different kinds of things fly out.

Me: OMG J... Moulding the Future of Our Nation (J is going to teach)

J (doing a rubbing motion with handd): No... Touching the Future of Our Nation...

Curtain.

No comments: